B.O. Cutter House

You can read about the history and designation of the B.O. Cutter House historic landmark.
 

 

1948


1948

 

2006


2006

Address: 400 10th Avenue S.E.

Neighborhood: 

Construction Date: 

Contractor: B.O. Cutter

Architect: B.O. Cutter

Architectural Style: 

Historic Use: 

Current Use: Residential – Multiple Dwelling – Fraternity

Date of Local Designation: 1976

Date of National Register Designation: N/A

Area of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: The B.O. Cutter House is both historically and architecturally significant. Master carpenter B.O. Cutter was working on several University buildings at the time he decided to build his home on the outskirts of the campus. The house was completed in a Carpenter Gothic style with intricate, hand-carved molding adorning the eaves.

Cutter lived in the house until selling it in 1869 to John Gilifillan. Gilifillan was a prominent Minneapolis citizen who was an educator, regent, banker, attorney, and a U.S. representative. In 1943 the house underwent remodeling including removal of details and covering the siding with stucco. In 1949 the interior floor plan was altered to accommodate the Theta Delta Chi Fraternity. In early 1992 it suffered a devastating fire, but since has been beautifully restored. It now houses the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity.

Photo Credits:

1948, Gordon Ray, courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Work Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places –Nomination Form," August 1975.

 

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation

Phone

612-673-3000

Address

Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415