Alden H. Smith House

You can read about the history and designation of the Alden H. Smith House historic landmark.
 

 

1974


1974

 


2006

Address: 1400-10 Harmon Place

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1886

Contractor: Unknown

Architect: William Channing Whitney

Architectural Style: Richardsonian Romanesque

Historic Use: Private Residence

Current Use: Commercial

Date of Local Designation: 1980

Date of National Register Designation: 1976

Area(s) of Significance: Architecture

Period of Significance: 1800-1899

Historic Profile: The Alden H. Smith House, with its fine stone masonry, round-arched windows, and gabled, hipped roof, is an excellent example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. Designed in 1887 by one of Minneapolis’ most prominent architects, William Channing Whitney, this house was built in one of Minneapolis’ most fashionable turn-of-the-century neighborhoods. The house bears the name of the man who had it built, Alden H. Smith, a wealthy Minneapolis businessman. Smith earned his fortune as co-owner of the Smith & Wyman Sash and Door Company. Today it is one of the only surviving mansions on Harmon Place, a district that has been overtaken by apartment structures, commercial warehouses, and the Metropolitan State University.

Photo Credits:

1974, Charles Nelson, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," September 1975.

Contact us

Community Planning & Economic Development

Historic Preservation

Phone

612-673-3000

Address

Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415