Applications for City owned development sites and vacant structures were due on Friday, January 7, 2022 at 1 p.m. We anticipate the next application this fall. Sign up for the Minneapolis Homes listserv below to be notified of future opportunities.
City-owned unfunded property purchase
Property opportunities and help
Minneapolis Homes seeks to create and sustain housing in the city. To do this, we provide the following for homebuyers, homeowners and developers:
- Property opportunities
- Program Manual
Explains the process for purchasing a vacant structure from the City
- Required Scope
Explains rehabilitation standards for all homes
- Application Walkthrough
Minneapolis Homes staff lead a walkthrough of the application materials for purchasing City owned property and applying for financing through Minneapolis Homes for ownership housing developments.
How to submit an offer
Complete the Application and Offer to Purchase for the appropriate type of development
- Offer to Purchase
- Proforma (Homeownership Proposals)
- Cashflow (Rental Proposals)
- Construction plans – floor plans/elevations/proposed lot layout
- BPO or Appraisal - Broker's price opinion that supports the sales price/completed project’s value
- Documentation of financing:
- Pre-approval letter from lender on letterhead, dated within 90 days
- Bank statements within 30 days
- Pending listing with amount of net sale proceeds expected
After you submit an offer
We have an approximately 90-day review and approval process led by:
- Residential and Real Estate Development staff
- The Minneapolis City Council
- The neighborhood organization where the project will be located
Our sample offer to purchase:
- Can help you as you fill out the offer documents
- Shows a rehabilitation proposal from residents who plan to live in the property as their primary home
We encourage applicants to research properties thoroughly. Here are resources that can help:
- Property Info
Search for a property's building, zoning, sales, inspections, tax, assessment and license history.
- Planning & Zoning
See allowable uses for zoning designations under Primary Zoning Districts.
- Topographic maps
Find sites with topography suitable for development of accessible or visitable housing.
- Drafters available for scope writing
See a list of drafting and specification writing businesses familiar with the City's plan review process.
Minneapolis Homes: Build or Rehab
Community Planning & Economic Development
Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415