The core pillars of our mission:
We strive to serve all parties with respect, dignity and compassion.
We strive to be as accessible as possible. The public can make complaints online, over the phone or in person. All services are free of charge.
Formal legal process
- A formal process to address complaints of discrimination
- Professional and objective investigations of those complaints
We provide options when we can't file a charge:
- We build partnerships with other organizations.
- We offer referrals to the public.
We empower residents, visitors and workers by:
- Providing a formal legal process to address allegations of discrimination
- Encouraging mediation processes that help people create their own outcomes and solutions
We provide results to residents, visitors and workers by:
- Engaging parties in mediation processes that result in case outcomes
- Completing investigations to see whether complainants can meet the legal bar to prove discrimination
We use outreach efforts to educate the public on civil rights issues. We serve as a resource about the:
- Complaint filing process
- Minneapolis Civil Rights Ordinance
We partner with:
- Other civil and human rights agencies
- Other City departments
- Community groups
We do this to:
- Promote the division’s work
- Increase accessibility to the division
- Develop new initiatives to further benefit city residents, visitors and workers
Minneapolis Civil Rights Commission
We support and partner with the Commission on outreach, education and case processing.