An ordinance was introduced by Council Members Gordon, Schroeder, and Ellison to the City Council on December 7, 2019, to amend regulations related to intentional community cluster developments. The amendment will allow a configuration of small dwellings or rooming units and a common house on a lot.
Goals of the amendment
The intent of this amendment is to authorize an innovative and affordable housing option for residents who are either housing stable or unstable.
Applicable sections of the zoning code
The following chapters of the zoning code were amended as part of this ordinance:
- Chapter 520: Introductory Provisions
- Chapter 536: Specific Development Standards
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (August 22, 2019) This meeting is to introduce the concept to the Commission.
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (September 26, 2019) This meeting is to introduce draft ordinance language to the Commission.
City Planning Commission (October 21, 2019). This meeting includes the opportunity to provide testimony at a public hearing.
City Council Zoning & Planning Committee (November 14, 2019)
Minneapolis City Council (November 22, 2019)
Following mayoral signature, the ordinance takes effect November 30, 2019.
- Legislation Details: Intentional communities and cluster developments ordinance (2019-01427)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo (August 22, 2019)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo (September 26, 2019)
- Staff report and draft ordinance prepared for the City Planning Commission (October 21, 2019)