An ordinance was introduced by Council Member Gordon to amend regulations for accessory structure height.
The text amendment increased accessory structure height, allowed for accessory structures to be taller than principal structures, and amended the height increase variance language.
Goals of the amendment
The changes allow for taller accessory structures and provide flexibility when designing garages or accessory dwelling units, regardless of the height of the principal structure.
Applicable sections of the zoning code
The following chapters of the zoning code were amended as a part of the ordinance change:
- Chapter 525, Administration and Enforcement
- Chapter 537, Accessory Uses and Structures
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (January 16, 2020)
City Planning Commission (January 27, 2020). This meeting includes the opportunity to provide testimony at a public hearing.
City Council Zoning & Planning Committee (February 10, 2020)
Minneapolis City Council (February 28, 2020)
Following the mayoral signature, the ordinance went into effect on March 16, 2020.
- Legislation Details: Accessory structure height ordinance (2019-00706) City Planning Commission
- Committee of the Whole Memo (January 16, 2020 )
- Staff report and draft ordinance prepared for the City Planning Commission (February 10, 2020)