An ordinance was introduced by Council Members Gordon, Schroeder, and Goodman on July 17, 2020, to amend regulations for single room occupancy (SRO) units.
The intent of these amendments is to implement policy guidance in Minneapolis 2040 which calls for meeting existing and future housing needs by pursuing innovative housing types and eliminating homelessness through safe, stable, and affordable housing opportunities.
Goals of the amendment
The amendment allows residential units that are intended to fill a gap on the affordable housing continuum for people who earn low-wages or work intermittently, creating a regulatory framework to allow for new — and to better regulate— existing rooming houses and single room occupancy units. Single room occupancy units support Goal 2 (more residents and jobs) and Goal 3 (affordable and accessible housing) of Minneapolis 2040.
Applicable sections of the zoning code
The following chapters of the zoning code were amended as a part of the ordinance change:
- Chapter 520, Introductory Provisions
- Chapter 525, Administration and Enforcement
- Chapter 527, Planned Unit Development
- Chapter 530, Site Plan Review
- Chapter 531, Nonconforming Uses and Structures
- Chapter 535, Regulations of General Applicability
- Chapter 536, Specific Development Standards
- Chapter 546, Residence Districts
- Chapter 547, Office Residence Districts
- Chapter 548, Commercial Districts
- Chapter 549, Downtown Districts
- Chapter 551, Overlay Districts
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole (March 25, 2021)
City Planning Commission (June 14, 2021).
Minneapolis City Council (July 23, 2021)
Following the mayoral signature, the ordinance went into effect on July 31, 2021.
- Legislation Details: Regulations of single room occupancy ordinance (2020-00703)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo (March 25, 2021)
- Staff report and draft ordinance prepared for the City Planning Commission (July 23, 2021)
For all media inquiries, please contact the City of Minneapolis Communications Department.