Interior remodeling and alterations

We explain the rules you need to know when doing interior remodeling and alterations.

We require a permit for interior remodeling projects that change the interior structure of a single-family dwelling.

See Permits Overview

If your construction project has accessibility issues please view the informational handouts on accessibility on our applications and forms page.

Before you start

Finishing an Attic

Finishing a Basement

Building an Addition

Interior remodels that require a permit

  • Tearing down or adding walls
  • Replacing joist and subfloor
  • Closing a door opening or making a new door opening
  • Constructing or Removing a stairway (pdf)
  • Remodeling a kitchen or bathroom
  • Installing or replacing fixtures (sink, garbage disposal, bathtub, toilet, shower etc)
  • Replacing a kitchen gas stove
  • Replacing a gas dryer
  • Any changes to the electrical system, except for receptacle and switches replaced as same that are worn or defective.
  • Installing a new light fixture or replacing an existing one
  • Hard wired smoke detectors
  • Adding or tearing out a fireplace or chimney
  • Converting a wood-burning fireplace to gas
  • Installing or replacing a gas furnace
  • Adding insulation to outside walls (if it involves removal and replacement of drywall)
  • Installing new windows

Interior remodels that do not require a permit include

  • Painting, wallpapering, or paneling walls
  • Installing or replacing woodwork or trim (around doors, windows, ceilings, floors)
  • Replacing window coverings such as drapes, shutters, or blinds
  • Finish flooring/underlayment in single family homes.
    Important: The old flooring may contain asbestos, contact a licensed asbestos removal company.
  • Installing battery-operated smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors (Hard wired smoke detectors do require an electrical permit.)
  • Insulation projects (adding insulation in an attic or blowing insulation into outside walls)

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Minneapolis Development Review

Community Planning & Economic Development


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Service Center hours
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.