What they eat
Cockroaches eat a variety of items, including
- Spilled food
- Pet food
- Wallpaper glue
Cockroaches need food, water, and shelter to survive. Once they find these things, they leave “scent trails” to attract others.
Where they hide
- Cockroaches hide during the day and become active at night.
- If cockroaches are seen during the daylight hours, it is a good indication of heavy infestation.
- Cockroaches prefer warm, humid areas and tight spaces (like cracks and crevices).
- Cockroaches are most commonly found in messy and untidy areas.
Cockroaches are a public health risk
- Cockroaches carry diseases that can cause food poisoning, diarrhea, or other illnesses.
- Cockroaches can transfer germs from dirty areas to food, kitchen areas, and living spaces.
- Some children develop an allergic reaction, similar to asthma, when exposed to contaminated food, dust, or droppings.
If you have an infestation:
- Identifying the type of cockroach in your business is important. Each species requires a different method to eliminate it.
- Hire a pest control service to get rid of them
- Work with your pest control operator on additional control measures
Eliminate sources of food by cleaning spills and food debris immediately, washing dishes promptly, and storing food in pest-safe containers.
- Store all items at least 6-inches off the floor.
- Use a trash can with a lid. Empty and clean the trash can regularly.
- Maintain a clean facility. Eliminate food sources by cleaning and sanitizing all surfaces regularly.
- Clean inside, under, and around all kitchen equipment.
- Eliminate moisture and repair water leaks.
- Clean drains, using an enzyme cleaner and/or stiff wire brush.
- Hang all damp mops to dry.
- Clean or remove potential hiding spaces such as stacks of old newspapers, magazines, bags, cardboard boxes, and piles of clothing.
- Seal all cracks and crevices around windows, doors, crawl spaces, pipes, wires, and cables with silicone caulking, screening, and/or copper mesh.
- Install door sweeps as needed.
- Avoid propping doors open.
- Put screens in windows and over drains.
- Remove unnecessary equipment from the establishment. Unused or infrequently used equipment provides places for cockroaches to hide, live, and breed.
- Check all incoming supplies, including paper goods.