We explain what you can do to protect food from contamination on purpose or by accident.
What businesses can do
Simple steps can improve your food defense practices.
Train your staff in food defense.
Secure access to your business
- Keep doors locked
- Limit access to areas where you store and prepare food
- Only allow authorized personnel in kitchens and delivery areas
- Check in all food deliveries
- Check ID for delivery drivers and have them sign in
- Compare items delivered to invoice or packing slip
- Only accept food from approved sources
- View University of Minnesota food protection information
- View food defense information from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Review Guidance for Industry: Food Security Preventive Measures guidance for Retail Food Stores and Food Service Establishments from the FDA
- View the Food Related Emergency Exercise Bundle from the FDA