Farmers market vendors

Find out what you need to know to be a food vendor at a Minneapolis farmers market.


To sell or serve food or beverage at a Minneapolis Farmers market you may need one or two of the following based on your items:

  • Minneapolis seasonal food vendor permit 
  • Minneapolis food truck license
  • Cottage Food Producer registration with Minnesota Department of Agriculture
  • Meet product of the farm rules

Market managers decide which vendors will participate in their markets. Contact the market manager if you are interested in participating in a specific market.

Permit and registration information

Farmers market vendors can find out how to get your permit, license or register with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. 

Seasonal food vendors

The Seasonal Food Vendor Permit:

  • Allows vendors to participate in farmers markets and public events in Minneapolis
  • Is valid for one year, from April 1 through March 31
  • Has an annual fee of $240

You need a Seasonal Food Vendor Permit even if you have a:

  • Restaurant license
  • State retail or state mobile food license, such as a:
    • Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) Mobile Food Unit license
    • Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) Retail Mobile Food Handler license

Seasonal food permit vendors typically:

  • Provide food intended for immediate consumption
  • Provide packaged food intended for off-site consumption
  • Resell produce
  • Are wild harvesters
  • Are farm processors 

Complete your seasonal permit

Get help

Contact 311 and ask to speak with a health inspector on the food permit team if you have questions. 

Contact 311

Food trucks at farmers markets

Food trucks with a Minneapolis Mobile Food Vehicle Vendor license are allowed at farmers markets. 

Give your license number to the market manager. 

Apply for a Minneapolis food truck license


Exempt vendors

State law allows specific vendors to operate without a State permit or license. You are an exempt vendor if you meet the definition of exempt vendor in state law.

You must tell the market manager if you are an exempt vendor.

Other vendors

Vendors who need a Minneapolis Seasonal Food Vendor Permit

  • Farm processor
    • A vendor who sells products that are grown, raised or harvested on land owned or leased by the farm processor. The products have additional ingredients added that are purchased and/or not grown, raised or harvested by them on their land such as to produce sausage, bacon, cheese, flavors added to honey or maple syrup, etc. and
    • Is licensed according to Minnesota law or city ordinance.
  • Wild harvester
    • A vendor who sells products that are grown and harvested on land that is not owned or leased by the harvester. 
    • Is licensed according to Minnesota law or city ordinance. 

Vendors who need to register with the market manager

  • Food demo and sampler
    • A market sponsored food demonstration and sampling activity. The main ingredient(s) used must be from vendors at the market.
    • The demonstration must meet promotional or educational purposes as defined in MN 28A.151.
  • Meat processor
    • Farmers who sell meat from their own animals that have been processed at a state “equal to” or USDA facility.
    • No ingredients may be added to the meat.
    • To be exempt from licensing, farmers must only sell their inspected meat.
  •  Product of the farm
    • A grower, or a group of growers, who sell products that are grown, raised or harvested on land owned or leased by the grower(s) with no off-farm ingredients added. Examples include vegetables, fruits, eggs, meats, plants, flowers, honey, maple syrup, etc. as recognized by MN Stat. 28A.15.

Vendors who need to register with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture and with the market manager

  • Cottage food producer 
    • A Cottage Food Producer is an individual who prepares and sells home processed non-time/temperature control for safety food directly to the consumer.
    • If you are a Cottage Food Producer, you must be registered with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) to be exempt from permitting.
      Cottage Food Producers must meet the requirements of MN Stat 28A.152

View Minnesota Department of Agriculture cottage food producer registration information

  • Poultry processor
    • Farmers selling whole or cut up poultry (no other ingredients added) from their own flock that were slaughtered at an MDA inspected facility

View Minnesota Department of Agriculture poultry processing registration information


If you prepare or open any food onsite, you must have handwashing. Prepared food includes beverages poured over ice or beverages that are garnished. 

For pictures of handwashing set-up options, see:

Using mechanical refrigeration

Vendors with cold time/temperature control for safety foods must use mechanical refrigeration certified or classified for sanitation by an ANSI accredited certification program (such as NSF, CSA, ETL, or UL). 

Time/Temperature for Safety Foods

Time/temperature Control for Safety Food (TCS) food is any perishable food that can support rapid and progressive grown of infection or toxigenic microorganisms. 

View Food Code Fact Sheets from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.

See the Food Temperature and Storage section to find the Time/Temperature Control for Safety Foods fact sheet. 

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Environmental Health

Minneapolis Health Department




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave S, Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415