You need a special permit to use liquified petroleum (LP) gas equipment at an event.


Liquefied petroleum (LP) gas, or propane, equipment includes:

  • Tanks
  • Fittings
  • Piping hoses
  • Tubes
  • Valves

You can use LP gas to:

  • Heat a tent
  • Enhance special effects, such as cold smoke or confetti blasters 
propane fire in hot air balloon



  • Location of containers: LP gas containers must be outside. Safety release valves must point away from the tent or temporary membrane structure.
  • Containers 500 or fewer gallons: Portable LP gas containers must be at least 10 feet away from any structure, property line, public ways or other containers.
  • Containers more than 500 gallons: Portable LP gas containers must be at least 25 feet away from any structure, property line, public ways or other containers.
  • Protection and security: 
    • Portable LP gas containers, piping, valves and fittings are usually located outside. Wwe must approve the location.
    • You must protect the equipment to prevent tampering, damage by vehicles or other hazards.
    • You must fasten in place portable LP gas containers to prevent unauthorized movement.


Download a special event permit application

Submit your application 

Submit application to the Minneapolis Development Review Office  

Get help

You can meet with a customer service representative about stages at events.

See how to get help at the City of Minneapolis Service Center

Contact us

Jim Huntzicker

Inspection Services Office



Minneapolis Development Review

Community Planning & Economic Development


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Service Center hours
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.