Fire special event permit

We share the City’s permit requirements for fireworks displays, tents and more.


You need a permit for the following:

  • Amusement or temporary use of buildings
  • Bonfire
  • Controlled burn
  • Exhibits and trade shows
  • Fireworks display (indoor and outdoor)
  • Open flame or candles in crowds
  • Temporary liquid petroleum (LP) usage
  • Tent, canopy or membrane structure

Photo credit: Minneapolis Aquatennial, courtesy of Meet Minneapolis

fireworks display in Minneapolis


The City must approve your fire special event permit before your event. 


Download a fire special event permit application


See the Fire inspections fee schedule

Submit your application  

Submit applications to the Fire Inspections Division of Regulatory Services

Get help

You can meet with a customer service representative about special event requirements.  

See how to get help at the City of Minneapolis Service Center 

Contact us

Inspection Services

Fire Permits & Registrations




Inspections Services
Public Service Building
505 4th Ave. S., Room 510A
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Minneapolis Development Review

Community Planning & Economic Development


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Service Center hours
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.