Apply for a rental license
You can submit an application for a Minneapolis rental license in person, by mail, or online. You should only submit your application once. If you submit it online, don't mail in a paper copy.
Submit in person or by mail
If your application requires a notarized local contact person or management company, or if you're paying by check or cash, you can download the Rental License Application and either:
- Submit it in person at the City of Minneapolis Service Center
- Mail in the completed application
If your application doesn't require a notarized local contact person or management company, you can submit your application online. You must pay by credit card to submit your application online.
Processing can take three to four weeks, and we'll notify you if additional information is needed. Once processed, the certificate will be mailed to you.
Update or close a rental license
- To change a contact address or phone number on a rental license
- If a contact person's name has legally changed due to marriage or other reasons
- Make sure to submit a copy of the marriage certificate or a signed and notarized affidavit of the name change.
- To close a license
To change or add a new contact person of record:
Resubmit the rental license application with a notarized signature from the new contact and the owner.