HVAC Class A or B

Find applications for heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) contractors.


Class A

A contractor who does the following type of work for heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems:

  • Install
  • Fix
  • Clean

Class B

A contractor who cleans heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems.  

thermostat on a wall

Before you begin

See How to open a new business


You must provide a surety bond with your application. 

HVAC Class A requires a State of MN $25,000 bond

See State of Minnesota $25,000 bond form

HVAC Class B requires a $10,000 bond from the City.

See Minneapolis $10,000 bond form

Competency card

See if you need a competency card



Find your license fee

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday