Trades and bonds

You can apply for many types of trade licenses.


Billboard Erector or Billposting

  • Billboard Erector: Installing, fixing, or removing billboards.
  • Billposting: posting notices, posters or advertisements on walls, billboards or digital displays

Building Wrecker : Tearing down buildings.

Combined Trades : Use this application if you want to apply for two or more trade licenses.

Duct Cleaner / HVAC Class B : Cleaning air circulation or exhaust systems.

Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Class A : Cleaning air circulation or exhaust systems and supervising the work of others.

Gas Fitter : Installing and repairing gas burning equipment and systems.

Oil Burner Installer : The installation or repair of any oil burner or equipment.

Plumber : Installing and fixing water pipes, faucets and toilets.  If you also have a master gas fitter certificate of competency, you may also install or repair gas burning equipment.

Refrigeration Systems Installer : Installing and fixing refrigerator equipment.

Residential Specialty Contractor : A person who:

  • Owns or operates the business
  • Negotiates contracts and
  • Works on places with four or fewer living units

This license allows a person to do one of the following:

  • Excavation
  • Masonry
  • Carpentry
  • Interior finishing
  • Exterior finishing
  • Drywall and plaster
  • General installation

Roofers do not need a Minneapolis license. You must have a State of Minnesota license.

If you have a State of Minnesota Residential Building license, you do not need a Minneapolis license. 

Sign Hanger or Painter

  • Sign Hanger: Installing, fixing or removing signs from a building.
  • Sign Painter: painting signs, notices or billboards

Steam and Hot Water Systems Installer : Installing or fixing the following equipment:

  • Steam and hot water heating
  • Cooling and steam piping

If you do not see your license listed, contact us.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415