Residential specialty contractor

You need a license from the City to do certain residential contractor work.


A residential specialty contractor is a contractor or remodeler who:

  • Owns or operates the business
  • Negotiates contracts
  • Works on places with four or fewer living units

This license allows a person to do one of the following:

  • Excavation
  • Masonry
  • Carpentry
  • Interior finishing
  • Exterior finishing
  • Drywall and plaster
  • General installation

Roofers do not need a Minneapolis license. You must have a State of Minnesota license.

If you have a State of Minnesota Residential Building license, you do not need a Minneapolis Residential specialty contractor license.

See State of Minnesota Residential Building license

carpenter working inside house

Before you begin

How to open a new business


You must provide a surety bond with your application.

See Minneapolis $10,000 bond form


See Residential Specialty Contractor Application


Find your license fee

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday