Food preparation and licensed kitchens

Find rules and kitchens to lease for making food to sell. Minneapolis offers a variety of kitchen spaces where individuals, groups, and businesses can prepare food for themselves or the public. These activities are regulated through important laws, such as Minnesota Cottage Food Law (The "Pickle Bill").

Find the right kitchen space for your needs

Kitchen facilities fall into two basic categories – those that are licensed and those that are not licensed.

  • Licensed kitchens — facilities have been inspected by the Minneapolis Health Department and are certified to meet specific local, state, and federal food safety requirements According to the City of Minneapolis, a community kitchen is defined as "an approved facility licensed as a food manufacturer that may be used by licensed businesses for commercial purpose.
  • Unlicensed kitchens — facilities used by community members for cooking non-commercial or exempt foods or for cooking classes and/or other related activities." (Minneapolis Code of Ordinances 186.50).

You must use a licensed kitchen if

  • You are preparing food for a public event, farmers market, or food truck under a market manufacturer/distributor permit, food truck license, short term food permit, or seasonal short term food permit
    • This applies to all food storage and preparation conducted offsite for the event.
    • In this case, you do not have to have your own license, but the kitchen must be licensed.
  • You are preparing food to sell to the public outside of a public event or farmers market, including online sales, wholesale, or catering.
    • In this case, you must obtain the license at the kitchen.

You may use an unlicensed kitchen if

  • You are preparing food for a public event or farmers market which meets the requirements of the Pickle Bill (28A.15 Subd. 10) or home processor statute license exemption (28A.15 Subd. 9), educational cooking classes and demonstrations, or personal use (such as preserving large amounts of produce.)

If you are unsure about the type of kitchen you need, please call 311.

Shared licensed kitchens

The licensed kitchens below lease and market their space to individuals, groups, or businesses.


City Food Studio 3722 Chicago Avenue South (612) 315-3399
Dots Gray 208 N 29th Ave (612) 232-6310
Grace Center for Community Life 1500 Sixth Street NE (612) 788-2444
Kitchen Space 5750 Lyndale Ave S (312) 339-3759
Seward Makes 2211 Franklin Ave S (612) 356-2195


Almost all licensed kitchens in Minneapolis (such as those in restaurants) could be used as a kitchen for another food business, as long as the kitchen is in good standing with the Minneapolis Health Department and has the capacity for additional food prep and storage. For more information, please call 311.

Community kitchens (not licensed)

A list of community kitchens is available here . Please note that some locations and rates may no longer be available.

Additional resources

Food Safety

Cooking Classes

  • The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board offers food-related classes year round. Find out about classes near you on the MPRB events calendar.

Minnesota Cottage Food Law (The "Pickle Bill") 

  • Minnesota's Cottage Food Law (The "Pickle Bill") allows an individual who prepares non-potentially hazardous foods in an unlicensed kitchen to sell up to $18,000 per year of product from the home, at farmers markets, community events, or on the internet. If you are operating under the Pickle Bill (28A. 15 Subd. 10) or home processor exemption (28A. 15 Subd. 9), you are required to register with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture and complete required food handling training. The City of Minneapolis is no longer accepting applications. Municipal zoning requirements supersede these provisions. For more information, please visit the Minnesota Department of Agriculture’s website. 

Contact us

Homegrown Minneapolis