Greenhouse gas emissions tracking
In October 2021, Mayor Frey pledged commitment to the Race to Zero campaign.
This means acting immediately to:
- Limit warming to 1.5⁰C
- Reach net-zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050
Minneapolis has adopted net-zero GHG reduction goals based on science and equity.
This campaign replaces the 2013 Minneapolis Climate Action Plan goal of 80% GHG emission reductions by 2050.
- Minneapolis GHG emissions have dropped by 30% since 2006
- 2021 GHG emissions increased by 11% from 2020 due to pandemic recovery
- Emissions increased from electricity, transportation, solid waste, and wastewater
- Emissions decreased from fossil natural gas
Read the full 2021 GHG Emissions Report
We have tracked GHG emissions reports since 2013. For earlier reports, contact Sustainability at the City of Minneapolis