Water, sewer and utility permits

You can read about water, sewer & utility permits and how to apply for the permit you need.

Water, sewer & utility permits

You may need a permit if you are making changes to your utility lines. If your utility lines overlap public property or right of way, you will need to get a permit from the City. To get a permit, you must complete and submit the permit application. The cost of the repair, removal or relocation of a utility is the responsibility of the permittee.

To apply for a right-of-way registration and permit or a water, meter set, sewer tap, utility, or excavation permit, applicants must complete the online application. After the permit is approved, the applicant will be notified of the amount due and the acceptable payment methods.

Use the Utility Connections, Meter Set, and Excavation Permit Application to apply for the following permits:

  • Water tap or disconnect
  • Service line extension or repair
  • Meter set
  • Sewer tap
  • Utility
  • Excavation

Water permits

A permit is required to connect or disconnect from the City's water main, to extend or to repair a water service line, or to install a water meter.

Applicants must provide service line sizing calculations before receiving a water tap permit. The calculations will be requested via email when your application is received. Find guidance and examples in the Guide to Service Size Calculations.

Fee schedule

Permit fees must be paid before a permit can be issued. The amount due and payment methods will be provided after your application has been approved.

Water tap permit
Show response

Hydrant and temp meter permits

We issue hydrant and temp water permits to contractors and plumbers to connect to a water hydrant to access water when other sources are not available. We meter water usage and bill at the current billing rate. A refundable deposit may be required for the meter and RPZ (backflow prevention) device that is attached to the hydrant by city staff

Hydrant permit
Show response
Temporary meter permit
Show response

Utility permits

See the following instructions on how to apply for each permit.

Sewer Tap Permit
Show response
Right-of-Way Excavation Permit
Show response

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Utility Connections

Public Works


Minneapolis Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Public Works


City Hall
350 S. 5th St., Room 203
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Office hours

Open to the Public by Appointment