Use of City property or right of way permits

We explain the permit requirements for using or placing items in a City-owned right-of-way.

The City of Minneapolis requires permits for:

  • Use or encroachment on city property or right-of-way
  • Use of city-owned malls and plazas
  • Attaching banners and seasonal decorations to poles in the right-of-way
  • Placing a bench at a bus stop

We explain the types of permits and help you determine the type of permit you need. 

How to apply

You can apply online for the following permits:

  • Right-of-way encroachment permit application
  • City-owned plazas permit form

Understanding right-of-way

We define right-of-way (ROW) and explain how to use City-owned ROW.
Encroachment permit
Show response
Banner/seasonal decoration permit
Show response
Bus Bench Permit
Show response
Malls and plaza use permit
Show response

Contact us

Public Works Right-of-Way Office




Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 410A
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Malls and Plazas Public Use Permits

Public Works Transportation Maintenance & Repair