A Malls & Plaza Use Permit is required to use or hold an event at the following City owned locations:
- Peavey Plaza
- Nicollet Mall
- The Loring Greenway
- The Chicago Mall (between the Guthrie Theater and the Mill City Museum)
- Traffic Control: Permittees are to be aware that access to the Humboldt Lofts Condo’s garage entrance must be maintained at all times. Depending upon the event, the applicant may need to provide traffic control to allow access the Humboldt Lofts garage. The approval process may include the requirement to provide a simple traffic control set-up during the event to maintain garage access. If required, the permittee can arrange for this for a small set-up/usage fee by contacting: Aaron Reser at 612-341-7580.
- Pioneers and Soldiers Memorial Cemetery
- Other miscellaneous City owned properties
Apply for the use of city-owned plazas (except Peavey or Nicollet Mall) using the Plaza Permit application updated August 2023 .
Where to send application
Submit application at least 15 days prior to the requested date.
Send it to Nancy McGrath
Send by email or fax (attn: Nancy McGrath).
Approval or denial
Approval: The city reviews the application to ensure it is complete. Incomplete applications will be returned.
Denial: Permit may be denied for a variety of reasons including scheduling conflicts.
- Prior to approval, a bond or insurance may be required before a request is approved. If required, the applicant would submit a Certificate of Insurance from their Insurance company (Acord 25 form).
- If there are questions regarding the need for insurance, contact Nancy McGrath. Required insurance must provide liability coverage in the amount of three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000.00) for one claimant and one million dollars ($1,000,000.00) for any number of claimants.
- The City of Minneapolis shall be named as a co-certificate holder.
Conditions and restrictions
Other Permits: If the request is approved, it is only for the use of the City property. Applicants are responsible for obtaining any other permits as needed for their event. Additional permits may include:
- Parking permits: if needed, contact Parking Services, Scott Kramer 612-673-2383; or use the Right-of-way-Permitting System to obtain 'lane use' permits.
- Noise permits: required for all users using amplified equipment; contact Regulatory Services at 612-673-5817.
- Food and/or beverage permits: contact the Minneapolis Department of Licenses & Consumer Services at 612-673-2080 for further requirements.
- Alcohol: Applicant agrees not to permit the sale or consumption of intoxicating liquors, without first obtaining the appropriate liquor license. Contact Licenses & Consumer Services at 612-673-2080
Claims: Applicant agrees to defend and hold the City harmless from claims, demands, actions or causes of actions, of any nature of character, arising out of, or by reason of conduct of the event authorized by such permit, including attorney fees and all expenses.
Damages: Applicant will indemnify the City for all damages that may result to City property, including any portion of such street, as a result of the event.
Supervision: Applicant will maintain adult supervision of the event or activity at all times.
Clean-up: Applicant will, at no cost to the City, immediately clean up, remove and dispose of all litter or material of any kind, which is placed or left on the site. If the applicant neglects or fails to proceed with the clean up within the three-hour period immediately following the end of the event or activity, or if the cleanup is done in an inadequate manner, the City Engineer is authorized to cleanup and charge the applicant for said cost.