Critical parking permit application
Before you begin
Proof of residency required
You'll need documents to show proof of residency.
Documents you'll need
- A valid government-issued ID. This is required.
If the address on this ID matches the one on the critical parking application, it's the only form of proof you need. If the address on your ID does not match, you need one more form of proof.
Other document options
- A signed lease
- Utility bill (dated within 30 days)
- Credit card bill (dated within 30 days)
- Insurance statement
These work as long as the resident's name and address matches the name and address on the critical parking area application.
How to apply for critical parking permits
If you cannot access the site
You can apply and pay in person or by mail.
If you can access the site but need to pay with cash or check
We encourage you to apply on the site, then pay in person or by mail.
- Your vehicle information (make, model and year)
- Your license plate number
- Proof of residency document(s)
Follow these steps
- Create an account on the critical parking permitting site.
- Enter your address to verify it's an eligible address.
- You'll be able to continue only if your address is in a critical parking area.
- Select the permits you want and enter your vehicle information.
- Upload the required documents.
- Pay and wait to hear of application approval.
Apply in person
Before you arrive
We suggest printing and filling out the critical parking area permit application.
Location and hours
Visit us at:
33 Ninth St. N. – Lower Level
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Service desk hours
Monday – Friday
8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Accepted forms of payment
We except cash, checks and money orders. Make your check or money order payable to Minneapolis Critical Parking.
Paid parking is available:
- at on-street parking meters along 1st Ave.
- in the Hawthorne Transportation Center parking ramp.
Apply by mail
To apply or pay for your permit by mail:
- Print and fill out the critical parking area permit application.
- Include copies of your required documents along with a check or money order.
Attention: Minneapolis Critical Parking
Address33 Ninth St. N.Room 100Minneapolis, MN 55403
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday
Direct Permit Assistance
Available 24 hours, every day
365 days a year