Charitable gambling

Charitable gambling requires an exempt lawful gambling permit. Apply to the City and submit the approved application to the State.


Charitable gambling is lawful gambling by a registered non-profit organization.

Four types of non-profits can apply for a permit to conduct lawful gambling:

  • Fraternal
  • Religious
  • Veteran
  • Other non-profit

Types of lawful gambling:

  • Bingo
  • Paddlewheels
  • Pull tabs
  • Raffles
  • Tip boards


bingo chips


To offer gambling, a non-profit organization must:

  • Have an exempt lawful gambling permit
  • Meet all state and local criteria


Non-profit organizations need an exempt lawful gambling permit.

Download LG 220 Application for Exempt Permit Form from the Minnesota Gambling Control Board


For applications received more than 30 days before the event

The processing fee is $65 per day for applications received more than 30 days before the event. So the fee for a three-day event would be $195 ($65 for each day of gambling).

For applications received fewer than 30 days before the event

  • The fee is $100 per day for applications received less than 30 days before an event.
  • You need approval from the Police License Investigator to apply less than 10 days before an event.

Submit your application at least 60 days before an event

Organizations should send:

  • The completed application
  • A self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE)
  • Payment for the fee

To the Minneapolis Police Licensing Unit - Gambling Section:

  • By mail or
  • In person

Submit application, SASE and fee to Minneapolis Police Licensing Unit - Gambling Section

We may return your application if you do not submit:

  • A complete application
  • A self-addressed stamped envelope
  • The proper fee

Exception to 60-day processing time

  • Organizations can request a letter waiving the 60-day processing time.
  • Make requests to the Police Licensing Unit at time of application.
  • We may assess an expedited processing fee.

Submit approved application

After the City approves your application, we will return materials to you in the self-addressed stamped envelope.

You must send the following to the Minnesota Gambling Control Board:

  • The approved application form
  • The proper proof of nonprofit status
  • A $100 processing fee


Minnesota Gambling Control Board
1711 West County Road B, Suite 300 South
Roseville, Minnesota 55113

Expedited processing fee

We charge a $150 expedited processing fee for applications sent 30 days or less before the scheduled event.

To speed up the process:

  • When submitting the application to the City, an organization can include:
    • A stamped envelope addressed to for the Gambling Control Board
    • The check for the state processing fee
  • After we approve your application, we will forward it to the State.
  • Your envelope needs proper postage.

You can ask the City to mail you a copy of the application. Include self-addressed stamped envelope with proper postage.

Gambling event records

  • Send a report of the event to the State Gambling Control Board within 30 days of the event. Follow procedures as required by the state.
  • An organization must keep records of a gambling event for at least three and a half years.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

License Investigations - Charitable Gambling

Minneapolis Police Department




505 4th Ave. S., Room 810

Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday