Carnival, circus or children's ride

You need a license to run a traveling show or amusement ride for children.


A carnival is a traveling show with:

  • Acts
  • Games
  • Vending machines
  • Amusement rides

A circus is a traveling show with:

  • Acrobats
  • Clowns
  • Entertainers
  • Trained animals

A children's ride is an amusement ride for children that is either:

  • Operated by a coin
  • Powered by an animal
Carnival ride in motion

More information


Report a complaint about an entertainment or recreation business


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday