Non-profit organization events

We require a permit for residential block parties hosted by non-profit organizations.


A non-profit organization event requires a commercial block event permit or a residential block event permit.


To qualify for a residential permit, an event must:

  • Fewer than 100 people attending
  • Have no more than 50% of attendees living on the block where the event will take place
  • Not sell food or alcohol
  • Have an applicant who is either:
    • A resident or property owner
    • The director, executive or board member of the non-profit organization

Talk to a customer service representative about your non-profit organization event.

Contact Business Licenses

Disability access  

The following must comply with Chapter 1341 of the Minnesota State Building Code:

  • Accessibility
  • Parking
  • Seating
  • Signs
  • Ingress and egress for people with disabilities

Read Minnesota State Building Code Chapter 1341


We explain permit types and help you decide which one your need. 

Get help

You can meet with a customer service representative about block event requirements. 

See how to get help at the City of Minneapolis Service Center 

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415