Dates and hours
Let us know the dates of your event on the application. If the weather is bad, you may continue the next day due to rain.
- Hours include setup time.
- Weekdays from 6:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Weekends from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
Activities protected by the First Amendment may occur for one hour on weekdays between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
You must block both ends of the street. This includes the placement, maintenance, and removal of the barricades.
If traffic control is needed, you must pay hourly fees.
If you plan to sell or serve alcoholic beverages, you must get a temporary alcohol license.
Apply for a temporary alcohol permit
Security plan and personnel
We require a Security Plan for large block events.
We require a $500 security deposit with your application. This is separate from the permit fee.
You must get general liability premises and operations insurance coverage:
- $300,000 for an individual claim and
- $1,000,000 for many claims of personal injury or death.
- You must list the applicant and the City on the liability policy.
The following must comply with Chapter 1341 of the Minnesota State Building Code:
- Ingress and egress for people with disabilities
You must clean up the entire area and throw away all garbage. If the area is not cleaned within three hours, the city may charge you the cost of cleanup.
The cost of a commercial block event permit is between $200 - $1,285. This fee is based on the size of your event and when you submit your application. Applications for large events should be submitted at least 60 days in advance. We will not accept applications ten days or less before the event.
The City will not approve an application for any event that:
- Would be too close to construction, hospitals or fire stations
- Conflicts with another scheduled event
- Would be on a major street, such as an emergency route
You can meet with a customer service representative about block event requirements.