- A building permit if any of the following are 30” or more above the ground or floor:
- Elevated platform
- Seating area
- Stage with a finished floor
- A plot plan showing:
- Boundaries of the property
- Location and dimensions of the stage on the property
- Location and distance of the nearest fire hydrant
- An electrical permit if you are using:
- Electrical cords
- Other equipment
- A statement from a Minneapolis registered architect or engineer stating the structure can hold at least 150 pounds per square foot live load.
- A 42" high guardrail for public safety.
- Stairs with:
- Risers not more than 7" high
- Treads that are no less than 11" wide
- Handrails between 34" and 38", located on both sides
- Landing width not less than the width of the stairways or ramps
Stages must comply with state code.
Read Minnesota State Building Code, Section 410
Submit your application
Submit applications to the Minneapolis Development Review Office
The following must comply with Chapter 1341 of the Minnesota State Building Code:
- Ingress and egress for people with disabilities
Read Minnesota State Building Code Chapter 1341
Read Minnesota State Fire Code for stages
See the Director's Fee listing
You can meet with a customer service representative about stages at events.
See how to get help at the City of Minneapolis Service Center
Request accessible format
If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.
Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Minneapolis Development Review
Community Planning & Economic Development
Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Service Center hours
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.