Rules and regulations

Find out about rules and regulations you need to know for rental licensing.

General rules

  • We require a rental license for any dwelling unit where the owner is not occupying the unit, even if:
    • No rent is paid
    • The unit is occupied by a relative
  • Vacant units advertised for rent are required to have a rental license
  • Rental license fees are due March 1 of each year.
  • Licenses are not transferable.
  • You must post a Who to Call poster  on the property with the rental license certificate in a conspicuous location.
  • Notify Minneapolis Regulatory Services in writing within 10 days about any changes to the following information about people on the application:
    • Names
    • Addresses
    • Other information about people on the application
  • When selling a rental dwelling, the owner must notify the buyer in writing about:
    • Unresolved housing violation orders
    • Administrative citations issued by Regulatory Services
  • City ordinance requires property owners to notify tenants or prospective tenants about:
    • Pending mortgage foreclosure
    • Cancellation of contract for deed involving the licensed property

Local contact

We require a local agent or contact if the applicant lives further than 60 miles driving distance from the property or outside the following counties:

  • Anoka
  • Carver
  • Chisago
  • Dakota
  • Goodhue
  • Hennepin
  • Isanti
  • Lesueur
  • Mcleod
  • Ramsey
  • Rice
  • Scott
  • Sherburne
  • Sibley
  • Washington
  • Wright

Your local contact will receive all written communication from the City of Minneapolis, including the annual renewal and violation notices, so it’s important for you to keep this individual’s contact information current.

Foreclosed properties

Rental properties in foreclosure must maintain a rental license until the redemption date stated on the foreclosure documents.

See redemption date and other foreclosure information

Relative homestead

  • If the property is a relative homestead, we require a rental license.
  • If you occupy the property and have a family member living with you in the same unit, we do not require a rental license.


  • We do not require a rental license for roommates as long as you own and occupy the property.
  • Housing Maintenance and Zoning Codes limit the number of roommates you can have.

See Minneapolis Housing Maintenance and Zoning Codes

Rental property management courses

  • Attending a rental property management course can be helpful to you as a landlord or property manager, whether you have just acquired your first property or you have been in the business for years.
  • Owners and property managers who show proof of attendance at a recognized property management course can receive a:
    • $250 discount on the $1,000 conversion fee
    • $250 reimbursement on a conversion fee paid by the owner or property manager in the last two years

Read about rental property management courses


Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Inspections Services Division

Regulatory Services





Public Service Building
505 S. Fourth Ave., Room 510B
Minneapolis, MN 55415