Operational permit

Find permit requirements for hazardous materials.


You need a permit for the following:

  • Cellulose nitrate film
  • Combustible dust
  • Cutting and welding
  • Dry cleaning plants
  • Explosives
  • Fumigation and thermal insecticides
  • High piled storage
  • Industrial ovens
  • Liquid or gas fueled vehicle in crowds
  • Lumber yards, wood working and wood products
  • Magnesium
  • Private hydrants
  • Rooftop heliports
  • Spraying and dipping
  • Tires, tire rebuilding and tire byproducts
  • Waste handling
danger hard hat area sign


The City must approve your operational permit before you use any item listed above.

Explosives and hazardous materials need an additional permit. See Hazardous materials permit


Download an operational permit application


See the Fire inspections fee schedule

Submit your application  

Submit applications to the Fire Inspections Division of Regulatory Services 

Get help

You can meet with a customer service representative about special event requirements.  

See how to get help at the City of Minneapolis Service Center 

Contact us

Inspection Services

Fire Permits & Registrations




Inspections Services
Public Service Building
505 4th Ave. S., Room 510A
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Minneapolis Development Review

Community Planning & Economic Development


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Service Center hours
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.