Tow trucks

Tow trucks and drivers in Minneapolis need a license.


We have four classes of tow truck licenses. Every tow truck and tow truck driver needs a license.

Class A

  • Private property towing requested by the property owner
  • Car starting

Class B

Towing and car starting requested by the vehicle owner 

Class C

Car starting services 

Class D

Towing and car starting for private companies

tow truck

Before you begin

See How to open a new business


  • You must provide a surety bond with your application.
  • Class A tow truck companies need a $10,000 bond from the City.

See Minneapolis $10,000 bond form

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve only as guidelines. 

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday