Used parts dealer

Buying, selling or storing used, rebuilt or new car or truck parts must be licensed in Minneapolis.


Used parts dealers buy, sell and store vehicle parts.
This includes:

  • New  
  • Rebuilt 
  • Used

Services can include the following for vehicle hulks.  A hulk is a major portion of a vehicle or the whole vehicle.

  • Crushing 
  • Shipping  
  • Shredding

A license is not required for buying, selling, or shipping scrap iron or used metal for reuse in smelters, foundries or other reprocessing plants. 

used parts

Before you begin

See How to open a new business


  • You must provide a surety bond with your application.
  • Used parts dealers require a $5,000 bond from the City.

See Minneapolis $5,000 bond form


Used parts dealers in Minneapolis are required to be licensed. 

See Used Parts Dealer Application


Find your license fee

Submit your application 

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve only as guidelines. 

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday