Rideshare companies

Rideshare companies in Minneapolis need a license.


A rideshare company:

  • Connects drivers and passengers using an internet app
  • Is also called a transportation network company or TNC

There are five licensed rideshare companies in Minneapolis:

  • Lyft
  • MyWeels
  • Uber
  • Wridz

Rideshare drivers do not need a Minneapolis license.   

Before you begin 

See how to open a new business


Companies must have a central place of business within 12 miles of Minneapolis City Hall.

Driver responsibilities

Drivers may accept passengers only through the mobile app.

Drivers may not:

  • Look for potential passengers
  • Accept passengers standing near their car
  • Drop off passengers at taxi stands, bus zones or no stopping zones

Contact the rideshare company if you're interested in becoming a driver.

Vehicle inspections

Schedule annual inspections at an authorized garage.

See authorized garages

Keep your inspection report in your car.

Download Inspection report


Keep proof of insurance in your car.

Company emblem

Display the company emblem on your windshield and car window:

  • ADD Hich has a green square with a white h in a circle. The emblem will be displayed on windshield.
  • Lyft is a pink, square “lyft” sticker. 
  • MyWeels is a red square with a red and black car in the middle. It will be displayed on the front right windshield.
  • Uber X is a black, square “UBER” sticker.
  • Wridz emblem is a red and blue square with cityscape in the middle. It will be displayed on the front right windshield.


See Rideshare Company application


Find your license fee

Submit your application

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve only as guidelines. 

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday