Convenience store

We list license applications for stores that sell ready-to-eat snacks and drinks.


Convenience stores sell snack and drinks such as:

  • Candy and cookies
  • Chips, crackers and popcorn
  • Coffee and pastries
  • Microwavable single-serving soups or entrees
  • Milk, soda and juice
  • Sandwiches
  • Yogurt, ice cream and cheese

This license is also known as a confectionery license.

These types of businesses use convenience store (confectionery) licenses:

  • Car washes
  • Condominiums or apartment buildings
  • Dollar stores
  • Hardware stores
  • Hotels
  • Offices
  • Tobacco shops

Before you begin 

Look at our information about:  


You may:

  • Sell coffee from a coffee maker, pastries in a display case, and candies in bulk containers if you have an NSF approved three compartment ware-washing sink with two drain boards and a hand washing sink.
  • Sell pre-washed (by supplier), ready-to-eat, single-serving fruits and vegetables if you have a hand washing sink.
  • Have a commercial-grade microwave oven or freezer.

You must:

You may not package or repackage food.

Food safety

See City and State food safety resources:


Convenience stores in Minneapolis are required to be licensed. 

See Convenience Store Application


Find your license fee

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

Food plan review

You must submit plans to: 

  • Open a new food or alcohol business, including:
    • Food carts
    • Food kiosks
    • Food trucks 
  • Remodel or expand an existing food or alcohol business 
  • Replace food equipment that needs any of these permits for installation:
    • Gas
    • Mechanical
    • Plumbing  
  • Add ventless cooking equipment or ventless hoods  

The City must approve your plans before you start any work.   

See Food plan review

Green To Go

Minneapolis has rules about containers for prepared food

Food and beverages prepared to be:

  • Eaten immediately off-site or
  • Taken to-go

Must be in containers that are:  

  • Reusable 
  • Recyclable or
  • Compostable

Read more about required containers

Read City code rules

More information


Report a complaint about a food or restaurant business


Your food handling methods determine how often the City will inspect your business.


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Environmental Health

Minneapolis Health Department




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave S, Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Food Plan Review Team

Mohamed Yusuf

Jim Donovan

Janna Beard


Mohamed Yusuf

Jim Donovan

Janna Beard



Public Service Building

505 Fourth Ave. S. 

Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday