Community food distribution
Before you begin
Find out if you need this permit.
You need this permit if you are:
- Only sponsoring temporary pop-up food distributions
- A Minneapolis licensed food shelf also participating in pop-up food distributions
You do not need this permit if you are a food shelf operating in a permanent location. You need a food shelf license instead.
- Follow State and City regulations:
- Record some employee illnesses:
- Follow requirements for the type of food you are giving away:
- Prepackaged shelf-stable food
- Whole fresh produce
- Prepackaged food that needs refrigeration
- Prepared ready-to-eat food
- Have temporary handwashing if you serve prepared, ready-to-eat foods.
You are responsible for food safety.
See City and State food safety resources:
Community food distributions in Minneapolis must have a permit. Get a permit application from the Minneapolis Health Department.
The permit fee is $1.
Submit your application
If you have questions, contact:
Food plan review
You must submit plans to:
- Open a new food or alcohol business, including:
- Food carts
- Food kiosks
- Food trucks
- Remodel or expand an existing food or alcohol business
- Replace food equipment that needs any of these permits for installation:
- Add ventless cooking equipment or ventless hoods
The City must approve your plans before you start any work.
Your food handling methods determine how often the City will inspect your business.
The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.