Restaurants and other businesses that prepare or serve food at an event must be licensed by the City.

License application

Caterer : A restaurant or business preparing or serving food at an event.

Caterer, Add a license : Use this application if you have a Restaurant or an On-Sale Alcohol license in Minneapolis and want to apply for a Catering license. You must have the same ownership and kitchen.

About catered events:

  • Catering customers pay for all food and expenses.
  • Nothing is available for individual sale.

The City does not require a license for delivery of food such as box lunches or pizza.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415