Rental hall

Rental halls must have license to operate in the city.


We define a rental hall as a building, available for rent, for a private event. We do not require a license for theaters or businesses with an alcohol license.

Carnival ride in motion

License application

In Minneapolis, rental halls must be licensed. Before operating a rental hall, the owner or operator must apply for a business license.

Download Rental Hall license application

Download Temporary Rental Hall license application  - For places used for four or fewer days per year

How to submit application

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services:

  • By email
  • By U.S. mail
  • In person

Before you begin

Before you begin, look at our instructions about how to apply for a business license.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Health Department

Environmental Health




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave S, Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415