Place of entertainment

We share information about offering live entertainment.


Any privately owned place where entertainment is offered. 

Entertainment includes: 

  • Live theater, dance and musical productions 
  • Public dances
  • Productions produced by:
    • Radio, phonograph or television
    • Video reproduction, tape recorder, slide or movie production
    • Orchestra, band, any musical instrument
    • Spotlight, or flashing light device 

The following do not need a Place of Entertainment License:  

  • Religious Organizations
  • Theaters 
  • Dance Halls 
  • Carnivals 
  • Places with an on-sale beer, wine or liquor license 
  • Food businesses with less than 2,500 square feet 
  • Places that sell radios, phonographs, tape recorders, musical instruments, records, tapes, movies, televisions or stage equipment 
Person doing a high kick dance move

Before you begin 

Look at our information about:  


Places of entertainment in Minneapolis must be licensed. 

Place of Entertainment Application  


Find your license fee

Submit your application

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information


Report a complaint about an entertainment or recreation business


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday