Tips for training your employees
Provide regular training
Things to practice:
- Ways to check ID of customers
- How to refuse sales to those under the age of 21
- How to read birth dates to determine if a person is 21 or over. Post signs for staff stating, "Selling alcohol only to those born on this or before today’s date, 20xx."
Inform employees about:
- Laws on alcohol sales
- The disciplinary actions and penalties of alcohol sale to minors
- The health and safety risks associated with alcohol use
- A policy that refuses to sell without proof of age
- Policies and signs
Have a written policy for managers and employees:
- Tell them not to sell alcohol to anyone who is under 21 years of age.
- Explain that you must obey federal, state and local laws.
- Make sure employees understand the law on alcohol sales and your policy. Ask them to sign an Employee Agreement form. See Employee Agreement for Serving Alcohol
- Post signs visible to the public stating that it is illegal to sell alcohol to people under the age of 21.
Use staff meetings to discuss recent problem situations.