Change your license type

Complete an application to upgrade or downgrade your alcohol license.


Use this application to change your type of alcohol license.


  • You may upgrade or downgrade your license type.
  • We do not charge a fee for this application. You pay the cost of the new type of license.
  • If you upgrade your license type:
    • The fee is higher.  
    • The City may request a public hearing. Your license inspector will schedule the public hearing. See license inspector map
  • If you downgrade your license type, we reduce the cost of your license fee.
neon bar sign

Types of alcohol licenses

  • On-Sale 3.2 Beer: Selling 3.2 beer for drinking at your business
  • On-Sale Wine: Selling wine and beer for drinking at your business
  • On-Sale Liquor: Selling liquor, wine or beer for drinking at your business



Look up the change in license fees

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact: 


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only. 

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday