We flush water hydrants on a regular basis to
- Help maintain good water quality
- Verify the hydrants are in working order
Things to avoid when we are flushing hydrants in your area
- Using hot water, because this could draw sediment into your tank
- Running a tap that has a filter on it
- Doing laundry, especially light colors
- Letting children get too close to our work area
Your water may discolor when we flush a nearby hydrant
- This happens because the flushing process stirs up mineral deposits inside the pipe.
- We can't predict if your water will discolor.
- It is safe to drink discolored water.
Discolored water should clear up in a few hours
- Check it hourly by running the cold water tap located in the lowest point in your home. Run it for two to three minutes each time.
- Once the water runs clear, flush the pipes in your home by running all cold water taps for a few minutes.