Film or video

Find out what you need to know to do film or video work in Minneapolis.


You must follow City requirements to do commercial film or video work in the following locations in Minneapolis:

  • Streets, sidewalks or alleys
  • Park property
  • City Hall
videographer filming a person

Location requirements

Streets, sidewalks and alleys

You need an obstruction permit to do film or photography work on any Minneapolis:

  • Street
  • Sidewalk
  • Alley 

We do not charge a fee for a one-day permit.

Apply for an obstruction permit

Park property

You need a permit from the Minneapolis Park Board if you do film or photography work on park property. Park property includes:

  • Lakes
  • Parks
  • The riverfront

Fees may vary. 

Apply for a Minneapolis Park Board permit

Minneapolis City Hall

You need a signed agreement with the Municipal Building Commission before doing film or photograph work inside City Hall. 

Request a Municipal Building Commission agreement

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday