Street use

You need a permit to close sidewalks, parking lanes, bike lanes or traffic lanes.


The City requires an obstruction permit for your event if you want to close:

  • Bike lanes
  • Parking lanes
  • Sidewalks
  • Traffic lanes
art fair sign

Steps to get a permit

  1. Visit the Right-of-way permitting system (roway) to request a permit
  2. Register yourself or your company.
  3. Once approved, apply for the permit:
    • Request dates needed
    • Explain why you need a permit
    • Let us know if you need to hood parking meters or post no parking


The permit is free.

You may have to pay for:

  • Money lost from parking meters
  • Traffic control agents

Get help

Contact Shane Morton about events requirements and permits 

Contact us

Shane Morton

Public Works Traffic and Parking Services



Dee Ann McQuerry

Public Works Traffic and Parking Services Division


Hawthorne Transportation Center
33 Ninth St. N., Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55403-1326

Minneapolis Development Review

Community Planning & Economic Development


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Service Center hours
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.