For residential properties, zoning approval is required for projects such as building a deck, addition, porch, fence or garage.
To check zoning requirements for your property and whether you need a zoning variance (permission to use the property in spite of zoning requirements), contact 311. A zoning variance requires action by the Board of Adjustment.
The City's zoning code:
- Appears in Title 20 of the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances
- Contains zoning regulations and a zoning map
- Governs the administration of the ordinance
- Specifies the uses allowed and development standards for each zoning district
- Also covers flood plain information