Applying for property tax exemption
Property may qualify for property tax exemption if the property is:
- Owned by an exempt institution
- Used for exempt purpose, and
- It is reasonably necessary to further the mission of the exempt organization
If you are seeking exemption, you must submit an application to the City of Minneapolis Assessor's Office. Your organization must prove to the assessor that your property qualifies for exemption under Minnesota law.
You must submit your application for exemption by:
- February 1 of the year exemption is sought, or
- 30 days after the purchase of the property
It's important to remember:
- Property taxes are based on the classification of your property during the previous year.
- The purchase of a property by an exempt organization will not change the amount of taxes that are payable in the current year.
- The date of purchase determines when the property may become exempt from property taxes.
- Example: Properties purchased by an exempt organization between:
- January 1 to June 30, 2021 may be eligible for exemption from taxes payable in 2022
- July 1 to December 31, 2021 may be eligible for exemption from taxes payable in 2023