Applying for homestead
Homeowners in the City of Minneapolis may complete an application for homestead once they move into their home. Applications can be completed online or by printing the paper application form. Completed paper applications must be submitted to the Assessor's office by mail, fax or in-person delivery to the Assessor's Office.
Please note: Minneapolis does not require you to file a homestead application in person.
Select one of the following homestead application options:
Homestead application CR-H20 (Printable version)
- Homestead questions can be answered by Minneapolis 311 service agents.
- Completed CR-H20 paper applications and supporting documents must be submitted by mail, fax or dropped in the Assessor's Office secure drop box.
- Do not email your application
Information that will be requested on the form includes:
- Social Security numbers of all owners listed or qualified relatives residing at the property
- The actual date you moved into the property
- Daytime phone number and email in case there are questions when processing your application
- Property owner mailing address if applying for a relative homestead.
Documents that must be submitted with your application
- A copy of the deed of ownership
- A copy of the electronic Certificate of Real Estate Value (eCRV), as proof these documents have been filed with the Hennepin County Registrar-of-Deeds
- Proof that shows the relationship of the qualifying relative occupant to the property owner such as: birth certificates, marriage licenses, adoption papers, court orders, etc.
- Certificate of Trust if filing for homestead on a property held in a trust.
- Documents indicating relative co-owners for terms of financing.
Notification of homestead application approval
You will only be notified if your application is denied, or you need to provide additional documentation. Once homestead is approved, annual reapplication is not necessary. In some circumstances, verification may be requested by the assessor's office. Review your valuation notice and tax statements each year to confirm your homestead classification.
To check on the homestead of your property you can call Minneapolis Service Agents at 311 or access this information through the City of Minneapolis Property Information.