Common questions about homesteading

We answer frequently asked questions (FAQs) about homesteading.

Common questions

Who is eligible to homestead?

If you own real estate property and you or a qualifying relative occupies the property by December 31, you may apply for homestead status by December 31. You can only homestead one residential parcel in the State of MN. 

What proof of ownership is required?

You must have a copy of a recorded deed or other ownership documents as proof of ownership. A copy of an electronic certificate of real estate value (eCRV) number is also required.

What are the occupancy requirements?

You and all other owners must use the property as your main residence. Temporary occupancy does not qualify to receive a homestead.

If any of the owners do not live at the property, then the property may receive a partial homestead. If the property ownership includes relative co-owners by terms of the financing agreement, you may be eligible for a full homestead credit.

When do I need to apply?

File the application as soon as possible after buying and moving into your home. You may apply for homestead at any time during the year. Apply for homestead using the online or paper application.

If completing a paper application, mail, fax or deliver your completed paper application with a copy of your deed to the Assessor's OfficeDo not email your homestead application.

If you own and occupy your property before December 31, and submit your application by December 31, then the homestead exclusion will begin in the next tax yearOnce the homestead application is approved, the homestead will remain on the property until the property ownership or occupancy changes.

How can I check on my homestead?

To check on the homestead of your property you can call Minneapolis Service Agents at 311 or access this information through the City of Minneapolis Property Information.

What if I am moving into a house I've owned for over a year and want to homestead the property?

You may apply for homestead at any time during the year, however homestead will be determined based on the date of ownership and when you moved into the property. Complete the application for homestead and include a note stating what year you purchased the property. Supply a copy of your deed and electronic certificate of real estate value (eCRV) with the application.

What if I sell the property?

If at any time the property is sold or you change your primary residence, state law requires you to notify the Minneapolis Assessor within 30 days. If you fail to notify the Assessor within 30 days you will be required to pay the tax which is due on the property based on its correct property class, plus a penalty. Click the following link to complete and submit a Notice of move form .

Can a relative homestead the property for me?

Certain relatives can qualify for homestead if they live at the property. Qualifying relatives are defined by birth, legal adoption, or marriage. The definition of "relative of the owner" includes a child, stepchild, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, parent, stepparent, parent-in-law, grandchild, grandparent, brother, brother-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, nephew or niece, step niece or step nephew, members of family farm corporations and farm partnerships.

Are there limitations to relative homesteads?

Neither the owner nor the relative occupant may claim a property tax refund for a homesteaded property, unless the relative occupant is a partial owner of the property.

Relative homestead property, where the owner is not living at the property, requires a rental license through the City of Minneapolis, Department of Regulatory Services, Rental Licensing.

Why does my tax statement say my taxes are non-homestead, when I filed homestead?

Your tax statement for this year is based on how the property was valued and classified as of January 2 of last year. Please note; if you did not own and occupy the property by December 1 of last year, the taxes payable this year will be at the non-homestead rate. If you moved into the property before December 1 of last year, you should apply for a homestead; to receive a mid-year homestead.

What will happen if I fail to comply with the homestead laws or file a false homestead?

Falsifying a homestead is punishable by imprisonment for not more than one year or payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both.

If the assessor is not notified within 30 days that the property has been sold or is no longer being used as a primary place of residence, the homestead status will be removed and penalties will be imposed.

Why must I provide my social security number?

Under Minnesota State law, Social Security numbers must be provided before a homestead credit will be granted. Social Security numbers will be used to determine if owners or relatives of owners have been granted more than one homestead in the state. Per Minnesota state statute, you can only homestead one residential parcel in the State of MN. 

Can an apartment building receive homestead?

Apartment buildings with four or more units and other types of properties are usually limited to receiving the homestead on the percentage of occupancy in the building used exclusively by the owner.

Do "Life Estates" qualify for homestead?

Yes, as long as the life estate interest is shown on the deed and the holder of the life estate meets all the homestead requirements.

Does a property owned by a trust qualify for homestead?

Most trusts can qualify for homestead. A Certificate of Trust must be completed and submitted with the homestead application. 

Are there programs for blind or disabled persons, or for veterans with a disability?

For people who are blind or permanently and totally disabled, Minnesota offers a special homestead. 

Taxpayers seeking this special homestead for the blind or disabled must submit the application and other documents to the City of Minneapolis Assessors Office by October 1st to be effective for the property taxes payable in the following calendar year.

Apply for the special homestead classification by completing the paper application.

Market Value Exclusion on homestead property of Qualifying Disabled Veterans.

The application for this valuation exclusion is not a substitute for a homestead application. The property must qualify for a homestead before being granted valuation exclusion under these programs.

There are two levels of exclusion for disabled veterans

For veterans with "70 or more percent service-connected disability" a market exclusion of $150,000 is available on homestead property. This includes veterans with a 100% disability that is not considered permanent. 

For veterans with "total (100 percent) and permanent service-connected disability", a market exclusion of $300,000 is available on homestead property. If the veteran is able to verify that they are considered totally and permanently disabled by the U.S. Veterans Administration.

Veterans must apply by December 31. Submit your application form to the City of Minneapolis Assessor’s Office to be eligible for the reduced tax program for the next year’s payable taxes. Once approved for the market value exclusion, totally and permanently disabled veterans do not need to reapply. The property will continue to qualify for market value exclusions until there is a change in ownership or use of the property.

Exclusions are available for a primary family caregiver of a disabled veteran or a  surviving spouse of a veteran with a disability.

If you are the surviving spouse of a United States military veteran who was receiving the market value exclusion for permanently and totally disabled veterans or who was certified certified at the time of death, or passed away due to a service connected cause while in active service, you may be eligible for a market value exclusion up to $300,000.  Submit application form CR-HESS and all required paperwork to the Minneapolis Assessor's Office by December 15 of the current year, for exclusion in the next tax year.

If you are the primary family caregiver of a United State military veteran with a service-connected disability of 70% or more, an application is required.  Submit application Form CR-HEC, to the Minneapolis Assessor's office by December 15 to be eligible.


Neither the Department of Revenue nor the City of Minneapolis Assessor’s Office is responsible for determining disability status of veterans. Applicants requiring information concerning their discharge or disability status must work with Hennepin County Veterans Service Office to receive this information from the V.A.

Connect with the Hennepin County Veterans Service Office 


Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us


Assessor's Office

Mailing address:

City of Lakes Building
350 Fifth St. S., Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1323

Secure drop box location only:

Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., 1st Floor
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Office hours

8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday