Recycling salvage yard

You need a license to store recyclable or salvage materials.


A recycling salvage yard stores any of these materials:

  • Recyclable
  • Salvage
  • Scrap

This includes recycling centers and garbage dumps.

You do not need a license if the recyclable materials are not the primary business.   

Recyclable or salvage materials include all previously used or damaged:

  • Building materials
  • Cloth, glass, paper, rubber and batteries
  • Ferrous and nonferrous metals
  • Grass clippings, wood, tree leaves and branches
  • Operable and inoperable vehicles or parts
  • Operable and inoperable machinery or parts
  • Scrap metals, concrete, asphalt and hazardous materials
  • Synthetic materials
pile of Recycled materials

Before you begin

See How to open a new business


The City and State have extra permit, notification and property standards.   

See the list of recycling and salvage yard requirements


See Recycling Salvage Yard Application


Find your license fee

Submit your application  

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday