Fuel dealer

Find the license application to sell fuel such as firewood, coal or oil.


A fuel dealer sells fuel such as firewood, coal or oil. You need a license for the business, not for individual employees.

Fuel includes:

  • Briquets
  • Coal
  • Coke
  • Firewood
  • Fuel oil
  • Lignite
  • Liquid petroleum (LP) gas

You do not need a license for:

  • Gas stations that sell fuel oil of less than 10 gallons
  • Gas stations that store fewer than 265 gallons of fuel
  • Any person who sells packaged firewood 
chopped wood in a pile

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday