Fire extinguisher servicing

You need a license to test, fix and charge portable fire extinguishers.


Fire extinguisher service includes:

  • Charging and recharging
  • Filling and refilling
  • Maintaining
  • Repairing
  • Testing

We have two types of fire extinguisher servicing licenses:

  • Class A can provide service to the general public.
  • Class B cannot provide service for the public. You can work for a company, an apartment complex, or another business.
fire extinguisher on a white brick wall

More information


Report concerns about a business


The information on this page should serve as a guideline only.

Request accessible format

If you need help with this information, please email 311, or call 311 or 612-673-3000.

Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday