Before you apply
Before you apply, you will want to gather some basic information about your business.
See our license and permit applications related to alcohol
Make sure you apply for the right alcohol license. Alcohol license types include:
- Breweries and distilleries
Choose your location in Minneapolis, and get approval for the site from Planning and Zoning.
Alcohol license applicants must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have no felony convictions in the past five years
- Have fewer than two alcohol-related misdemeanors in the past five years
Tell the City how you will pay for all your start-up costs.
Use the worksheet to list your source of funds
Let the City know what type of entertainment you will offer.
You need to write a business plan when you apply for an alcohol business license.
Think about your menu. You will need to provide a couple food options. A Health Inspector can help you with this.
You will need to provide a place for your customers to park.
The City requires you to send a letter announcing your business to your:
The City may need to hold a public hearing for your business. Your license inspector will schedule a hearing, if needed.
Tips to help you succeed
It may take extra time to schedule inspections. You will need approvals from the other divisions.
Follow the application checklist
The license application packet lists everything we need. A complete application reduces delays.
Know the rules
- Before you sign a lease, ask if can be contingent on getting your license.
- Staff from Zoning can tell you the type of business allowed at a location.
- You may need to give us a floor plan.
- You may need other permits for building, plumbing or mechanical. See Construction permits overview
For more information, contact the Minneapolis Development Review Office.
Submit your application
Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services
If you have questions, contact: