How to apply for an alcohol license

We explain what you need to know to apply for any alcohol license in Minneapolis.

Before you apply

Before you apply, you will want to gather some basic information about your business.

See our license and permit applications related to alcohol

License type

Make sure you apply for the right alcohol license. Alcohol license types include:

  • Liquor
  • Wine
  • Beer
  • Breweries and distilleries


Choose your location in Minneapolis, and get approval for the site from Planning and Zoning.

See Planning and Zoning

Applicant qualifications

Alcohol license applicants must:

  • Be at least 21 years old
  • Have no felony convictions in the past five years
  • Have fewer than two alcohol-related misdemeanors in the past five years 


Tell the City how you will pay for all your start-up costs.

Use the worksheet to list your source of funds 


Let the City know what type of entertainment you will offer.

See Types of entertainment

Business plan

You need to write a business plan when you apply for an alcohol business license.


Think about your menu. You will need to provide a couple food options. A Health Inspector can help you with this. 

Contact Environmental Health


You will need to provide a place for your customers to park.


The City requires you to send a letter announcing your business to your:

Public hearing

The City may need to hold a public hearing for your business. Your license inspector will schedule a hearing, if needed.

Find your license inspector

Tips to help you succeed

Start early

It may take extra time to schedule inspections. You will need approvals from the other divisions. 

Follow the application checklist

The license application packet lists everything we need. A complete application reduces delays. 

Know the rules

  • Before you sign a lease, ask if can be contingent on getting your license.
  • Staff from Zoning can tell you the type of business allowed at a location.
  • You may need to give us a floor plan.
  • You may need other permits for building, plumbing or mechanical. See Construction permits overview

For more information, contact the Minneapolis Development Review Office.

Submit your application 

Submit your application to Business Licenses & Consumer Services

If you have questions, contact:

person putting beer in glass from tap

Common questions

Find answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about starting an alcohol business.

Contact us

Business Licenses & Consumer Services

Community Planning & Economic Development






Public Service Building 
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Minneapolis Development Review

Community Planning & Economic Development


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Service Center hours
Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. 


Minneapolis 311


Office hours

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Environmental Health

Minneapolis Health Department




Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave S, Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Community Planning & Economic Development

Planning and Zoning


Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415


311 or 612- 673-3000